At the reception there will be many short speeches from members of the wedding party and the father of the groom speech is one of the important ones. They can also be considered a toast. Most of the speeches will only be seven to ten minutes long and in that time frame there is a lot that needs to be said. If this is the first wedding where you have to give a speech you may be wondering why is it important, what do you say, etc. In addition to knowing what to say you also need to know when it is time to give your groom’s father wedding speech. Samples Here
Template for father of the groom speech
This is the order in which the wedding speeches will be given.
- The father of the bride is the one who will start the speeches
- The next will be mother of the bride if she wants to but this is optional
- The father of the groom
- The mother of the groom can say a few words if she would like to
- The groom is next
- The bride will give a toast although this is common
- The maid of honor also has a chance to give a sentimental speech if she wants to.
- The speeches are closed with the best man giving a funny speech usually.
As you can see the four speeches that are most commonly given are by the father of the bride and groom, the groom, and then the best man.
Easy guideline for writing a father of the groom speech
If you have never give any type of speech before or are one who does not like to speak in public you may start to feel anxious just thinking about it. One important thing to do is to make sure that you do not wait until the last minute to write the speech. Start early and write several drafts, combining them to make the final speech. If it would help, take a note book to jot down things you want to say so you do not forget anything. More Speech Examples for the Groom’s Father
Here is an easy writing guideline to follow to help you write your father of the groom speech for that special day in your son’s life.
- First write an introduction about yourself as many of the relatives and friends of the bride may not know you. When you give your name let them know that you are the father of the groom.
- The middle of the speech should consist of anecdotes or inspirational stories about the bride and groom. Use metaphors and colorful word when writing the speech. You can tell the audience how they met, how they are good for each other, give some friendly advice but make sure that you are not turning it into a sermon. You should also make sure that you say something special and personal about your son. Make sure if you are telling a story or anecdote that they have a unifying theme. By doing this it will help to make your speech simple, cohesive and short.
- The last thing that you need to end your with is the best wishes and obligatory congratulations that you offer to the bride and groom. You can end the speech with some type of advice or keep it short like the rest of your speech.
After writing the speech, make sure that you practice it so you are not just reading it off some cards or cheat sheet. You can also let someone hear it to see if they have comments or criticisms that can help make the speech better.
Examples of Father of the Groom Wedding Speech
- Introduction—“Hello my name is (father’s name) and I am the grooms father.
- Middle of speech—“(bride’s name) and (groom’s name) have been attending the same school since first grade. In several grades they were even in the same class. I can remember the day (groom’s name) came home from third grade and told me that (bride’s name) kissed him on the cheek on the bus. He told me he needed a shot. I asked why and he said he got cooties from (bride’s name). Now fifteen years later I think he has finally changed his mind about girls having cooties. (Bride’s name) and (groom’s name) keep the love alive by sharing those kisses often. (Groom’s name) I am extremely proud of all you have accomplished in your life and love you very much.) If the mother of the groom is not going to make a speech you could say instead of “I” you could say “your mother and I”
- End of speech—“(bride’s name) and (groom’s name) one thing that will help to ensure a long lasting marriage like my parent’s fifty-five year marriage, and our forty-six year marriage always make sure that you keep the communication lines open. Talk instead of yelling and arguing. Remember you can get more flies with honey than with vinegar. Welcome to our family (bride’s name). Here’s to the newlyweds, Mr. and Mrs. (their last name) with your glass raised in a toast.
Following this template, easy writing guide for a father of the groom speech, and examples should help you make the most heartfelt speech. You should also time the speech to see if it falls within the seven to ten minute time limit before the you stand up to give the speech at the reception. If it is too long or too short you can make the adjustments before you have to give it. This way you will not drag on and on with the speech or if it is too short it will sound rushed.
There are more samples online that can help you make your father of the groom speech something that your son will look back on with warm memories and not with the feeling that he wished he could just burry it because it was bad or that he was embarrassed by something his father said.